If you see a fish or wildlife kill or suspect a pollution event:
Call (512) 389-4848 or contact your regional Kills and Spills Team biologist.
Prompt notification is key to a successful investigation. The sooner we arrive, the better the chances that our biologists will be able to collect useful evidence.
What does KAST do?
The Texas Parks and Wildlife Department Kills and Spills Team (KAST) is a group of biologists who investigate fish and wildlife kills resulting from pollution and natural events. KAST staff are trained to assess impacts to fish and wildlife resources and to determine the causes of events.
- Determine the cause of fish and wildlife kills and pollution incidents
- Minimize environmental degradation resulting from pollution incidents and fish and wildlife kills
- Obtain compensation for environmental damage and restore affected habitat
Reporting a Kill or Spill
If possible, make a note of the following:
- Location, date and time
- Water color, clarity and any odor
- Number, size and species of affected organisms
- Recent weather
- Condition and behavior of animals or organisms
- Are plants or other organisms affected?